Gym idiots

You know those people who, at the gym, pump their guns and then pose in front of the mirror like it's nobody's business?

What show-offs!

Oh, and what about those who just can't do a rep without having to breathe like they are vacuuming the oxygen out of the whole gym and into their lungs? And then grunt loudly while exhaling.. Is that like a new kind of yoga-type of breathing or something?

And of course there are those who, as loud as they can, make sure they shout all sorts of things before they lift... Maybe a cry for attention?!

And let's not forget those who drop their pants down to their ankles, take their phones and take photos of themselves via the mirror... Self-love just got a whole lot weirder. And if it's a girl, the duck-lips are absolutely necessary, because without the duck-lips, someone might actually report you to the mental institute for being a tad bit too serious about your self-image.

What about the people who seem to know everything about working out and come and correct everything you do and show you what they think is the correct way of doing some exercise?

Here's something like what I'm talking about:

Ok, now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'm going to confess... I'm a gym idiot!

Before I started bodybuilding, I used to look at people at the gym who looked like they took this whole working out business a little too seriously and would get all worked up about lifting and would seem all pissed off and it just seemed childish to be perfectly honest.

Then looking at the bodybuilders at the gym who looked like they swallowed a bull whole, posing in front of the mirror... it just made me wanna shake my head in embarrassment on their behalf.

But as I started going to the gym as my main hobby and started seeing the muscle gain, I slowly and shyly started to check myself out in the mirror. And, no, not in a sick way.. I was not sending myself blow-kisses via the mirror... I was checking out the muscle group I had just been pumping and if anything else happened to catch my interest, I'd want to check that out too.

As time went by and more muscles were gained and I started knowing the faces around the gym and they started knowing mine, I started to gain more and more confidence so I could look in the mirror, flex some muscles and not be ashamed.

Now I just do it on a normal basis because it's a great feeling to flex and see muscle definition where there was none before or to compare the development of a weaker muscle group.

For me, nowadays, the back delts are something I'm proud of, even though they are still smaller than the rest of the delts, but they've improved a lot and it's nice to see the changes. It means by changing my exercise routine to be more back-delt-oriented, I've actually improved it.

And sometimes at the gym, I lift heavy or I do a lot of reps.. It's just a whole lot easier to do a rep when you get lost in the moment of lifting and not caring about others. So I may sometimes be loud and grunt, but I do it because it's hard work and the hard work somehow becomes more bearable if I didn't have to control the effort I put into lifting by being quiet. Some people can do it, and I'm not the loudest person there is at the gym, but nowadays I totally understand why people may be loud.

I'm not saying it doesn't sound stupid, I'm just saying I now understand the reason :)

When it comes to taking photos via the mirror, I must admit, I don't think I've ever done it, or if I have, it's been so few and so embarrassing that I've tried to forget it. I don't have a problem with taking photos of myself, I just hate it when it looks like I have taken the photo, so I always ask someone to do it.. My hubby is a good chum and takes photos of my progress so I don't have to embarrass myself ;)

I also don't do duck faces.. but whatever rocks your boat.

As for people who come and try to tell you how to do some exercise, well, I'm sure they mean well. It depends on my mood and on the person doing something, sometimes I go and tell them something about the move, sometimes I just change rooms because it's too painful to watch.

I get it, I'm a girl and for a girl to tell some dude how to do the leg press, it's embarrassing for them. But seriously, if your knees, ankles and hips are going zigzag on you on the leg press, you're going to be better off not doing anything at all on the leg press, so I will tell you how not to do it!

When I'm doing something, I would like feedback if I'm not doing it right, and I have gotten feedback at least for some of the moves. I do go to the gym for fun, but I could also think of many fun things to do instead, so when I'm at the gym, I'd like to do it right.

When I was young, I also went to art classes for fun, and there was a teacher telling us what to do and how to do it.. that's how I learned. Same thing here.

Of course it does matter how one approaches when correcting someone, but that's something people have to figure out for themselves.

So.. now that I've gotten this out of the way, let's do a little survey:


Comments

Popular Posts