Eat well, train hard

My grandmother taught me from as early as I can remember that I have to eat when it was time to eat. We generally ate three big meals a day and a few snacks in between. Breakfast was always the biggest and heartiest and as the day went by the meals got lighter and the snacks in between were packed with energy, vitamins and minerals.

And that's what I've been used to, so it wasn't a surprise for me when I got on my first so-called competition diet (I wasn't competing, I just wanted to do the dieting to get rid of the "baby-fat"). What did surprise me about the diet, though, was the amount I had to eat to lose fat :) It took a while to get used to stuffing my face... by the end, I was of course on minus calories and did actually wish there was more food to eat.

I remember we used to make porridge in the morning and we used to put so much water so that we would fill our stomachs with it because there were only so many grams of oat flakes we could use... aah, good times :)

We made some of the most delicious foods during our diet.. we actually had time to make food back then. Now it's just mostly a lot of everything and asap. And of course when you're on a strict diet with minus calories and you're mostly always hungry, food just generally always tastes fantastic! :)

Here are some of the foods we had that were easy to make and very delicious.
 This one was one of my favorites, because it tasted like the puddings my dad used to make at home. It's made with Basmati rice, water, artificial sweetener and saffron (for color).. On top I decorated it with cinnamon and ground almonds. You could add a spoonful of rose water to give it a nice flavor.
 This is basically how our fridge almost always looks. We generally have more than one fridge to store all the food in.
 This tuna fish salad was a quick, easy and delicious meal. And the good thing about this was that it could be taken with us when we went places because the tuna is canned and the rest won't spoil too quickly, so it saved us a lot of trouble when we had to go away from the comfort of our kitchen.
 Cappuccino pudding made from instant coffee, quark and sweetener. So very very yummy!
 Meatball soup. My absolute favorite born by accident. I was trying to make plain meatballs and I put the potatoes and other veggies in the broth to boil alongside to save time and trouble.. Then when I took it out of the oven it was a soup and I was quite happy with it.




All the foods we ate at the beginning of the diet were bland, boring and mostly just yucky. Then we learned how to season everything and use spices to make up for the lack of oil or sauces. It turned out, in the end, to be a lot simpler than we first thought it would be, and the meals were really good. We were somehow more creative with food back then than we are nowadays. I think the lack of time is really a crappy thing nowadays. I really like spending time in the kitchen making new things and trying out recipes with my own twist, but both our time and our kitchen facilities are limited nowadays. Hope that will change for the better within the next 1,5 years.

Popular Posts